Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Zuni Tribe's Hunting Style

The Zuni tribe is one of many indigenous tribes that struggle to survive due to the lack of health situations they face on a regular basis.  As most people know, there is a huge difference between firing a gun and a bow with an arrow.  The Zunis don’t have the same resources that we have today used for hunting.

What many may not know is that the first inhabiting Zuni tribe were big time hunters, and they still are.  The Zunis use a small variety of weapons such as the “Atlatl,” which is a type of spear thrower or throwing stick.  Another weapon is a small mini spear that would be recognizable to us as a dart.  Surprisingly, the Zuni’s have a rather large variety of knives use for practical purposes and hunting.

The Atlatl is used to propel spears; what most people would describe as a gun and the spear is the bullet.  Like any spear, with enough power, speed, and accuracy; it can seriously harm others.  On the other hand, an Atlatl is more powerful therefore more deadly than a spear that is thrown by hand. The Atlatl at times is strong enough; that is has the strength to take down large marine animals such as whales and it has actually been used for that purpose before.

The spear alone that is put in the Atlatl is measure out to be around 4 feet long and is normally made of wood.  The Atlatl however, isn’t as long as the spear but its average size is typically around 2 feet.  The spear is on one end of the Atlatl while on the other end is the grip. What is use for counterbalance is a weighted Atlatl (small stone), which is placed at midsection of the Atlatl and is also a way to add additional thrust.  Some would consider an Atlatl to be an upgrade from the use of a spear alone.


Warpaths2peacepipes. "Atlatl." Retrieved September 21, 2015. (http://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-indian-weapons-tools/atlatl.htm).
Morall Virginia. April 2007. "The Zuni Way." Retrieved September 21, 2015. (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/the-zuni-way-150866547/?no-ist).

4 comments:

  1. I can say that when I first received the name of the tribe that I will be researching and writing about, I wasn't all to excited. However, when I started to read out the Zuni people; how they hunt, they're religion, traditional events, etc. I grew more interested every day.
    I am amazed at how far the Zuni thinking a ability that has improved from the from the "first" Zuni people. They rely of each other to help provide for the whole tribe. They aren't all that very different from us and how will live. However, even since the Zuni's don't have the amount of resources that we have for hunting, doesn't mean they aren't capable to hunt successfully.
    I am beyond excited to learn more about how the Zuni hunt for a meal. The Zuni tribe is a unique tribe that do what is necessary to impress their ancestors. They are a traditional tribe that continues to grow in population.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jose,
    This comment kind of gears toward a reflexive comment, but not really. And you need to write at least 3 more paragraphs. Please, read the guidelines of the project. Email me once you do it, so I can read it. Do not wait until the final days of the project. It will hurt your group members as well. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. You also need to format your references as indicated. Look at Issa's post, please. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say that I wasn't very excited to research what I thought was going to just some group of people that live in the forest, I can see that I fell into a ethnocentrism view. After researching more and more facts about the Zuni people, I grew more and more interested. I've learn how they provide for the tribe and what is necessary to do if order to be the provider.
    I see that The Zuni's way of living isn't so different from us. Their priorities are to find or create shelter then to find food. Unlike us, they have to go out and risk their lives to find the mouths of the tribe. If I wanted some kind of meat weather it was chicken, beef, or pork, I would just drive to the store and buy some and bring it back home to cook. My resources are what separates myself from the Zuni people.
    Looking back at the blog and the articles I've read about the Zuni tribe, makes me appreciate what I have available to me more. The Zuni's are an extraordinary group of people with their traditions, inventions, religion and ability to understand what is a necessities. They may not have supermarkets at their reach but that doesn't stop them from going out and gather food.

    ReplyDelete