Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Zuni Tribe's Religion

The Zuni people have an "all-encompassing" approach to the universe.  This means that they treat everything in their lives as if it is sacred.  They believe that through their religion, harmony and balance will be maintained.  Major aspects of their beliefs include nature, ancestors, and Zootheism.  Zootheism is the "belief in animal gods."  It is also said that the principal gods that the tribe worships dwell in a lake in Arizona.  The Zuni tribe has many ways that they practice their religion including ceremonies, and the way they treat death and the afterlife.

In order for one to understand the religion of the Zuni people they must first be informed about the tribes religious practices.  The religion of the Zuni people begins at the home.  There are certain clans in the Zuni community that "may determine ones position in the religious system."  All tribe men are initiated into a "kachina society."  Once they are in this society they are put into "one of six kiva groups."  But the way a man is put into these groups is sacred to the people. When a boy is born, in the Zuni tribe, his mother and father decide what kiva, the young man, is placed into. But as the child gets older he can chose to change his kiva. Before he can do that he must go through two initiation processes.  One is "between the ages of five and nine," and the other initiation phase is between the ages of "ten and fourteen" after this, the male can "dance and wear a kachina mask."  He is now considered a man. Once he is initiated into one of the religious societies, he is then presented with what is interpreted as a perfect ear of corn, this corn ends in 5 symmetrical rows and feathers attached to it.  This is to represent the life-giving power of "the creator."  There are also ceremonies carried out by the chiefs and shamans.  These ceremonies would include song and dance which would be accompanied by "masked performances by the chiefs while the shamans prayed to the gods for a variety of favors."  In these ceremonies, these masked men impersonate their ancestral gods while the shamans play the leading part.

Another thing that a person should know about the Zuni religion is the way they treat death.  When a person dies, the Zuni people often look at the cause as "witchcraft."  But other factors in death may include "kachina dances that last for several days, dreams of death, and infraction of religious rules" may also be causes. There are also two ways of predicting the death of a "rain priest."  If there is a "thunder storm in January, or "observed landslides" show that a "rain priest will die within the year.

All these things are factors in the Zuni tribe’s religious beliefs. From the ways that they practice their religion to the way they view death, the Zuni religion is very interesting.  This tribe believes in Zootheism, which is the belief in animal gods. The Zuni tribe has many ways that they partake in their religion such as ceremonies and the way they treat death.


Crystalinks.  2015.  "Zuni."  Retrieved October 27 2015. (http://www.crystalinks.com/zuni.html).
Countries and Their Cultures.  "Zuni- Religion and Expressive Culture."  Retrieved October 27, 2015.  (http://www.everyculture.com/North-America/Zuni-Religion-and-Expressive-Culture.html).

3 comments:

  1. I can see why the Zuni see everything as"sacred" in their tribe. They use everything and believe that the minute that they take it for granted it will be taken away from them. They try to live out there lives as well as they possibly can because they want to please their ancestors. They feel that if they do something bad, that it will haunt them which i find interesting.

    I also find interest in the process that a boy comes a man in their religion. I think that it's similar to when someone is baptized in the Christian faith. These are similar because just like a person cannot partake in communion until they have accepted Jesus Christ as their savior. A boy may not dance or wear a kachina mask until has has gone through both sets of initiation.

    I also see why they think these certain things can cause death. Since they are so religious, they think that breaking certain rules can cause death. But one may also see there death in a dream. i find it interesting on how them predict the death of a "rain priest." I can see how these natural events could be a big deal to the tribe and mean that hardship is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will,
    I gave you a score because you did this on time. Please, make sure you make this comment reflexive -- not just your opinion, which is valid, but reflexive means include yourself, your life experience as it relates to your topic, and your position -- which would normally be of power in relation to the Zuni and in the context you are describing. This is very important as a reflexive comment. I would suggest, replace your opinion paragraphs here above with reflexive paragraphs instead. Do email me once you do this so I can read it. I Also think you need to rewrite your references in the right format. YOu may want to look at the ASA Guide I posted -- and ask Issa too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why the Zuni people considers everything sacred in their tribe. Just like a lot if indigenous people, they are thankful for everything they have and feel that if they are ever. They try to live out their lives as well as possible, because they want to bring pride to their ancestors. They feel if they do anything wrong they will bring shame to their ancestors and will be haunted by them.

    I grew up in a very religious home. I also grew up in a small town where everyone knew who you were and who your parents were. Therefore, I had right from wrong pounded into me. I always knew that people were watching me and if i ever did anything wrong, my parents would know eventually and i would sometimes feel like I embarrassed them and brought shame on them. After I did something wrong either at school or in the community, I would be terrified to come home and face my parents. I knew that I had consequences waiting for me

    Going with my religious comment, My family goes to church every Sunday. I am nondenominational christian. In my religion we are taught to live our lives as well as possible. Just like the Zuni, we fear judgement and not pleasing God

    ReplyDelete