Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Zuni Tribe's Sports

Sports/games are a huge tradition passed down from generation to generation in nearly every house hold.  The Zuni tribe is an extraordinary group of people with all their resources and beliefs.  The Zuni's are known for various possessions of what they have created.  Through the years of hunting, population growth, clothing styles, etc., sports had also grown on the Zuni traditions. 

For one, the Zuni's sports are slightly similar to the sports in our culture.  A famous sports in the Zuni culture is Lacrosse; it’s known for its aggressive activity that takes place during the game.  For those who haven't ever heard of lacrosse or just don't understand it; the objective of the game is to throw a ball in a net the most times between two teams.  There are two evenly amount of players on both teams and the gear consist of; a projective helmet, pads, a lacrosse stick (crosse), gloves and shoes/cleats. This is a very aggressive game and is normally played between two different tribes to show which one is more superior; prizes are given to the winners.

A second sport is "Pokean," this sport is very similar to a popular 17th century game called, "Battledore and Shuttlecock."  Battledore and Shuttlecock is basically an old version of badminton.  Pokean is normally between two people whose objective was to swing at the Shuttlecock and to consistently swing at it in order to prevent it from touching the ground.  The partners that kept the Shuttlecock in the air the longest won and prizes were given out to the winners.

The Zuni tribe do contain more sports, for instance; Showeastopa, Lopochewa, Thanklawa, Awewopopane, etc.  Most of these sport were the beginning stages of some of the sports we play today.  These sports were used to solve problems, whether it was some kind of dispute between tribes or members of the Zuni tribe. What may seem odd and unusual to people in today’s society is just the way of life to the Zuni tribe and perhaps other tribes as well.


Owens, John G. 39 May 1891. "Some Games of the Zuni." Retrieved December 1, 2015. (https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popular_Science_Monthly/Volume_39/May_1891/Some_Games_of_the_Zuni).
Tradgame. "Online Guide to Tradition Games." Retrieved December 1, 2015. (http://www.tradgames.org.uk/games/Battledore-Shuttlecock.htm).

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly didn't expect indigenous groups have sports of their own. Indigenous group are very similar to us but the only difference is the type of sports they play and their techniques to their lifestyle. I can related the Zuni through the sports they play because I personally love sports and love to stay active. The Zuni people take their sports seriously because its a way to resolve problems they might face. I reward winners with prizes and those prizes are frequently use to motivated others to contribute more to that sport. I don't personally play Lacrosse however, Lacrosse is a very popular sport in our society and in the main sport to the Zuni's. Their uniforms are tradition to their heritage and what most fits to relate to the sport. My uniforms that I wear for my sports relate to the school I play for and the sport that I am currently playing at that moment. I have found myself having various similarities to the Zuni's lifestyle and entertainment.

    ReplyDelete